11.18.2009

food blog

I'd like to give you a little tour of the food Lydia, Monica and I ate on our week-long UK holiday.

There's this adorable little village in the Lake District called Grasmere. They have the world's best gingerbread, or at least that's what I was told. And it was really good. It wasn't what I expected. I was picturing thick bread, but it was thin, with crumbles on the top. It was hard but a bit chewy and yummy heated up. I don't have a picture of it, but this is where you get it. It's the only place in the world to get it, as it's a secret recipe.














On Tuesday in Edinburgh, we ate at Canon's Gait. This is what I had: pan fried chicken on a bed of bubble & squeak w/ panchetta & white wine sauce.














I'm not sure if that's where Lydia had Yorkshire Pudding, but here it is. Served with peas, of course. There's a lot of peas here.














Upon arrival in Bromley (where we stayed in London), we walked to the town centre and ate at O'Neill's Irish Pub. It was good. I think my favorite place we ate at all week. I had a Seafood Crockpot, which had mashed potatoes, cabbage, shrimp, fish, salmon & mussels (which I did not eat) and cheese. Served with potato bread. I topped it off with an amazing chocolate cake and vanilla ice cream.














This is Monica's Irish Breakfast. I think it's self-explanatory.














Lydia's Steak & Guinness Pie, with chips and, of course, peas.














On Friday, after our free tour of the Royal sites, we ate at a restaurant with most of our touring group. This is traditional fish and chips, with—you guessed it—mushy peas (in that little cup). They were actually cold and quite good. However, my fish still had the bones in it. It was a bit of a surprise.
































That night, we ate a little Italian cafe in Covent Garden. Here's my spaghetti. It was nice to get away from all the English food for a meal.














On Saturday night, we had Indian food at Bengal Cuisine. Here are all the sauces/relishes they brought us.














No week is complete without the great taste of Starbucks, which we frequented. We seemed to have a goal of visiting one in each city.

No comments: