12.13.2009

the worship experiment, uk: week 10

St. Michael’s Stanwix
6 December, 9:30am

St. Michael’s is the Anglican church in my neighborhood. I knew it was evangelical by the Alpha Course sign outside, and by the same token, I also knew they have a family service once a month, which I was interested in checking out. On Saturday, my housemate and I received a brochure through the door inviting us to all of the Christmas services. The December 6 service was a “Nativity Parade.” This sounded unique, so I decided to make it my next church visit.

The church was packed. This church still has seating in the transept (cross section), and this area was full, mostly with children dressed in costumes of sheep, barn animals, shepherds, angels and innkeepers. The vicar stood up and welcomed everyone to the nativity play. Ah—so it wasn’t really a parade, but something which reminded me of The Best Christmas Pageant Ever (without the Herdmans). Before the play began, we followed a card which had the family service liturgy. It was informal (geared towards the kids), with Christmas songs projected on the screen and accompanied by a piano or organ, interspersed with litanies, scripture reading, and the lighting of the advent candle. On the advent wreath, the vicar explained what it is, but he failed to mention the wreath’s or the candles’ significance—just

that it was a countdown to Christmas day when the “big white candle” would be lit. This was a disappointing for me. It took the symbolism and power right out of it.

After this, the vicar explained the nativity play. He would be reading it, and the kids would act it out as it went along. As he read keywords, different groups (barn animals, sheep, shepherds, Mary, Joseph, innkeepers, angels, wisemen and guards and even the congregation) would shout out a word or phrase (many of which were humorous). He had everyone practice their “lines” and instructed the groups of kids where to sit or stand. Then the play began. At first I thought it was all spontaneous, but at one point, the angels sang a song which they had prepared. The play was cute, and the morning definitely had a “small town church” feel. It was fun to see all the life. There had to have been at least 50 kids participating!

After the play, the children went back to their seats and we had a time of prayer. In this, I thought the vicar did well at instructing the kids in what to do. Then we sang one last Christmas song and had a benediction.

A couple of extra notes: the church took an offering during one of the carols. This was one of the only Anglican churches I’ve been to which has done this during the service. There was an awkward moment for me after the benediction (when we were standing), when the organ started playing and I assumed everyone would start putting on coats to leave, so I turned around and grabbed my coat. Instead, everyone sat back down first and then got ready to leave. Oops! I still don’t know when I’m “supposed” to sit and stand, even in these informal churches. At least I know when to say, “Thanks be to God,” “And also with you,” etc.

2 comments:

Janet said...

I think the 'sitting and standing' thing is why I at least like to sit 2 or 3 rows back. My fear is to be in the very front row standing while everyone else has taken their seats. :)

I would have enjoyed seeing this service. What experiences you are having!!!

Poker Download said...

Many thanks.