10.10.2009

the worship experiment: uk, week 2


















I know I’m a bit late on this, but I need to get it up before I visit another church tomorrow!

Hebron Evangelical Church
20 September, 11:00am

Hebron Evangelical Church, originally a Brethren Church, meets in a storefront in town in Carlisle. They have an early traditional Brethren service (hymn sing, people sharing when they feel lead), an 11:00am family-oriented service, and a 6:30pm service oriented towards young adults. I attended the 11:00 service. The first thing I noticed was why it is called the family service! There were about 65 adults and probably as many children! The school-age children stayed in the service until the first set of music was over, then they went to KidsZone. KidsZone met in the multi-purpose room next door, and from what I could see, it was buzzing with activity and fun! The nursery-aged children stayed in the service until just before the sermon, and then they went to the Creche. I found it strange that the youngest children stayed in the service longer, or were in there at all. There were babies crying all over the room! It’s quite refreshing to see a church that is so welcoming to families and very kid-friendly. I don’t think visitors with kids would feel looked down on if their child started crying; on the other hand, it was a bit distracting to have that much noise in the room. But maybe that’s what multi-generational worship should be like.










I was encouraged by the amount of young adults and children attending this English church, and by a pastor who I believe wants to engage the community and challenge his people.

No comments: